Friday, February 13, 2009

Complicated Relationships

Mutiple stars, a lot of couples, passionate affairs, complicated relationships, independent persons, confused persons, dependent persons, faithlessness, honesty, casual attitudes, millions of problems, unhappy couples, happy people, etc. - yet good movies!

A lot of movies have used some or most or all of these ingredients. After having watched 'Your Friends & Neighbors', I asked myself - Why are relationships so complicated? Not just between lovers, husbands-wives, girlfriends-boyfriends, but most of the relationships like father-son, father-daughter, etc. There have been a lot of movies that have used such complicated themes and found success.

Among other English movies, it just struck me that even 'Vicky Christina Barcelona' (VCB) is based on complicated relationships, though VCB is much more on the funny side. On looking back, 'Closer' and 'Matchpoint' (Off the top of my mind) also stand out as interesting movies based on similar themes. The way they were dealt with made them non-judgemental and non-preachy, yet they were so beautifully narrated that the viewer will be glued to the screen all through. There are many more movies like that, but for the lack of words (read lack of memory cells in my brain) now, I shall stop at that.

Needless to add, at least three of the above four movies are a recommended watch (by yours truly) - VCB, Closer & Matchpoint. I guess it's time now for me to move on from movies with such complicated stories, and enjoy some other genre for a while.

No comments: